Tuesday, November 1, 2011

How OLD are you?

At times, my thinking goes very strange and critical.Today when was comin in bus, suddenly this sentence struck my mind "How old are you?". The first question that came to my mind was, why should we consider ourselves OLD.

 "Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.  We grow old by deserting our ideals.
 Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul"

The first thing a child learns in a school is My Name is X and I am Y  years old. So we stick this word OLD to the child's mind very early.The child knows the meaning of the word OLD, so the child will think OH, We are OLD.


Why cant the question to ask the age be "What is your age?", rather than "How old are you?"

If you learn this sentence from your mother tongue(say Tamil for me), உன் வயசு என்ன ?. Now if you translate in English "Whats your age?". We don't ask நீ எவ்வளவு பழசு ?.

I need your opinion on this dear readers !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment